Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Ugandan Experience

A sign they made for us at Holy Trinity Community

So, I am sitting here on the floor of my room and wondering what it is I am going to write about. A thoughtful soul told me that I did not mention my twin brother (waiswa, as he is called here) in any blog posts, so I set out to rectify that mistake. But as I looked back, I see that he has lied to me. Indeed, I mentioned Derek in two posts. ;)

Even still, maybe some of you are wondering what his experience was during his time here. Well, you will have to ask him! I invited him to write a post as a guest blogger, but he declined. As you recall, Derek came with me for the first two weeks of my trip. He wanted to accompany me while I traveled and also to be able to meet some of the people I would be working with and see the places where I would stay.

I will say, it was very good to have him here for those two weeks. It gave me a sense of security and familiarity, while I was settling in to a new place. It was also nice to have a fellow mzungu to talk and joke with. It is good that we get along well because we were with each other all the time, even sleeping in the same room, and he kept using my phone airtime and internet data to send messages to people back home! But many months ago, I prayed and fasted, asking God to find me someone to travel with. And so, in answer to that prayer, I know it was He who chose Derek….and He had a purpose in doing so. Not only did Derek’s service here make a great impression on all those he met (they often ask about him), but I know that God was working in his heart at the same time, through the unique experiences, the holy conversations and the many daily Masses he attended with me.  

I also tried to make sure that Derek got the full Ugandan experience. Let me explain what I mean – maybe it will provide a better snapshot of the country and culture here, which you might also enjoy.
  •  In Kampala, he was overwhelmed when we stopped the car in town and it was swarmed by 25 street vendors all shoving food in our faces.
  •  He took a picture at the Equator.
  • He ate chapatti (fry bread), as well as a “rolex” (eggs wrapped in chapatti). He also enjoyed ground nuts, matooke, posho, cassava, pumpkin leaves, papaya, and jackfruit. Unfortunately, he didn’t get to eat any grasshoppers, because it’s not the season for grasshoppers…..and because he’s a vegetarian.
  • He rode a boda-boda (a motorcycle taxi - common means of transport) with 3 adult passengers and a driver. Feeling claustrophobic? In Rwanda, this would be illegal, but in Uganda, if you can fit that many people on the motorcycle, more power to you! Boda-bodas can also be seen carrying just about anything else: pigs, chickens, bananas, pineapples, couches….
  •  He bargained with a store owner in order to buy a flash drive. Prices on most things are negotiable. The first shop told him a ridiculously high price, the second shop was slightly more reasonable, and the third started high but was willing to strike a deal when Derek turned to walk away.
  •  Every Saturday and Sunday, he had no electricity.
  • Every day, he wondered if we were going to be fed dinner, because dinner doesn’t begin until at least 8:30pm, but usually later than 9.
  • He was woken up every morning by the beat of an African drum.
  • He washed his clothes by hand.
  • He used a pit latrine.
  • He saw Lake Victoria….from a few different angles, I believe.
  •  He went on a safari at Lake Mburo National Park, and saw zebras, impalas, warthogs, baboons, monkeys, waterbucks, antelopes, buffalos and hippos in their natural habitat.

Should I keep going?

Remember, Derek:
When the mosquito bites, when the wasp stings, when you’re feeling sad… Just think of a few of these wonderful things…..then you won’t feel soooooooo bad!


I know you all were praying for him, so on Derek’s behalf, thank you!  I know he enjoyed his time in Uganda. Maybe some of his experiences will entice you to come too. J

Hehehe....

No comments:

Post a Comment